Worc. pirate station losing its "Flava"

raccoonradio@mail.com raccoonradio@mail.com
Sat Apr 24 22:37:43 EDT 2010

 http://www.telegram.com/article/20100424/NEWS/4240344/1116

The FCC wants to shut down Flava 105.5, a pirate station in Worcester. There's a quote from
Ben Parker of WPKZ (formerly of WRKO) which recently began simulcasting AM 1280
on 105.3...people want to hear Red Sox games, etc., but instead get an illegal broadcaster.

>>“I'm not sure how much they were affecting us, but we might have lost a little audience at our southern end. It's fine if it's just on the Internet, but when you've got a radio station like ours that pays the fees, has a license, follows the rules, pirate stations like this shouldn't be allowed to crowd our signal.”

I'll add that tonight as I drove north on the Southeast Expressway I was trying to get the Sox on FM,
with 103.7 WEEI (I had my XM plugged in and knew it would interfere with the AM signal of WEEI).
Guess what: some pirate station at 103.7 instead. Admittedly this area is more than a few miles
from Westerly, RI but it still was blocking a receivable signal.