Non competes and Howie Carr

Robert S Chase attychase@comcast.net
Mon Apr 19 15:29:23 EDT 2010

Joe, I understand what you mean about the contractual provisions regarding
distribution but what about the Mass Non Compete Statute For Broadcast
Industry
vis:

Chapter 149: Section 186. Broadcasting industry; non-compete agreements

Section 186. Any contract or agreement which creates or establishes the
terms of employment for an employee or individual in the broadcasting
industry, including, television stations, television networks, radio
stations, radio networks, or any entities affiliated with the foregoing, and
which restricts the right of such employee or individual to obtain
employment in a specified geographic area for a specified period of time
after termination of employment of the employee by the employer or by
termination of the employment relationship by mutual agreement of the
employer and the employee or by termination of the employment relationship
by the expiration of the contract or agreement, shall be void and
unenforceable with respect to such provision. Whoever violates the
provisions of this section shall be liable for reasonable attorneys' fees
and costs associated with litigation of an affected employee or individual.

I believe this statute was passed after the Jerry Williams situation and
directly as a result of all of the legislative leaders getting jobs at RKO,
etc.

By the way, the only other industry that has that type of clause is nursing
and maybe doctors but I've not looked that up..

However Brownbacker and the other business interests in the legislature are
trying to get revised non-compete legislation passed that would allow the
screw job by employers to be resumed and I expect would repeal . See H&F's
site on same http://www.massachusettsnoncompetelaw.com/ I expect that
legislation would repeal explicitly or implicitly the broadcast non-compete
clause voiding.