Boxford pirate's coax cable cut

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Sep 29 13:26:14 EDT 2009

<<On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:07:36 -0400, Aaron Read <friedbagels@gmail.com> said:

> I should also point out: an unsurprising amount of "community
> broadcasters" (aka not-quite pirates, but close) who *did* successfully
> get LPFM licenses, have either failed to renew the license or just gone
> dark due to lack of funds.  Surprise, surprise, it's not all fun and
> games to run a radio station...it's a lot of money, time and hard work!

How much do LPFMs have to pay for music licensing?  That's got to be a
significant annual outlay, since an LPFM transmitter uses next to no
power and most are located where they pay no rent.  I've occasionally
thought about applying for one in Framingham, should they ever relax
the spacing rules sufficiently.

Now that TV channel 6 is effectively gone from most places, I wonder
if the Commission could be persuaded to open up channel 200 for LPFM?
There are likely lots of places where an LP10 or LP100 could fit on
87.9 that don't have any other channels presently available.

-GAWollman