Boxford pirate's coax cable cut

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Tue Sep 29 11:19:20 EDT 2009

>>...and is seen by many as condoning illegal behavior.  Enforcement
of the law is impossible if there's no price to be paid for
breaking the law.

Agreed...
A few years back a pirate called Radio Free Brattleboro went on the air and they got warnings, etc. from the
FCC. A vote was held by the town's people "authorizing" the continued broadcasts of the station, and an effort
was made to get an LPFM license from the FCC, but they were not given one. At one point (June '05?) the feds
came down and seized their equipment. Meanwhile, an LPFM license was granted in nearby Bellows Falls for
WOOL-LP and they went on the air legally. I'm sure that RFB attempted to get a license despite the warnings and
eventually shutdown by the FCC but they did not get one, while WOOL went about it legally (to the best of
my knowledge they did not broadcast illegally prior to the granting of the FCC license)

Another LPFM went on in Brattleboro itself, Vermont Earthworks Radio. As far as I know Earthworks Radio was not the
same folks who ran RFB (which incidentally moved from half a watt up to 10 watts; WVEW-LP though has 100 watts I believe).
The Wikipedia entry for VEW mentions RFB and says at one point, "RFB was licensed to broadcast by its community - but not by the Federal Communications Commission." Uh, yes, you DO need permission from the FCC, despite what your community votes on.

I know signals are scarce in Boston (perhaps someday the FM band will be rolled back to 76 or so?) and I wish somehow some groups
would work together, get a legit license, and all these organizations can do shows on a LEGAL station. Or maybe they can get time,
free or paid, on a legit station. I cite my own WMWM which has some Spanish language programming. These DJs could have started
a pirate station in our area but they came to WMWM and did it legally. I don't know how much free time is ultimately available on
the various AM and FM outlets around here (college radio, etc.) but better to do it legally.