self supporting TV towers

Jim Hall aerie.ma@comcast.net
Mon Sep 28 08:30:10 EDT 2009

I remember the Sunday Globe had a multi-page color insert about the new
Channel 7 tower when it first went on the air. I wish I had saved it. I
remember in one hurricane we had, Channel 7 put a camera underneath the
tower and showed how much it was swaying in the breeze. I was amazed that a
self-supporting tower could move that much without collapsing.

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Ron Bello
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 1:48 AM
To: Kevin Vahey
Cc: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: self supporting TV towers

Although both 4 and 5 moved their transmitters to Needham / Newton in 1957,
it took until 1964 for WNAC 7.  I can remember watching the welders from a
small hill just on the other side of 128 with a telescope.

The lack / cost of available land was probably a major factor in the choice
of a
self-supporting tower.  That area was well built out by the early 1960s.