55+

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu Sep 24 13:02:20 EDT 2009

> From: "Mark Watson" <markwats@comcast.net>
> Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:54 PM
> Re: 55+
>
> I know that WATD has a Saturday afternoon oldies show
> hosted by Ron Dwyer who mixes in lots of not heard
> everyday gems from the 50's, 60's and 70's, with one or
> two early 80's tunes thrown in. I believe his show is pre-
> empted or shortened by U-Mass sports in season (if
> WATD is still carrying U Mass games). I believe Ron
> also has a Wed. night oldies show as well. There's was
> also another oldies show after Ron's Saturday show
> from 6 to Midnight hosted by two gentlemen. One of
> them I believe passed away in the last year or two, so I
> don't know if this show is still on the air.

I'm having trouble getting WATD's program schedule page
to load on my computer, so this is from memory:

Ron Dwyer is on Saturdays from (I think) 12 noon to 6 PM,
and Tuesday through Thursday nights 7 PM to 10 PM, plus
on Monday nights with a later start after a local talk show.

Bill Clark's great '50s doo-wop/R&B show "Music Heaven"
airs Sunday nights 10 PM to 2 AM (Monday morning).

"Yesterday's Memories" is still on Saturday nights 6 PM to
12 midnight. Bill Clark stepped in to join co-host Ed Bowen
to replace the late George Dunham when he passed away, in
addition to his Sunday night doo-wop show.

There are other oldies shows on weekends at WATD, and
weeknight overnights 2 AM to 5 AM, including the legally
blind Ted McCaw who does his show from his customized
home studio sent to WATD via a mono RF link. (Since he
plays mostly mono '50s records, stereo is not necessary).
I'm not sure which early morning he's currently on, maybe
Wednesday or Thursday.

Also, for some '50s and a lot of '60s music, there's Clark
Smidt's automated oldies format "Beatles and Before" on
980 WCAP whenever they aren't airing local news/talk
programming or local sports games. It's on certain times
in the mid-day and evenings, late nights and overnights,
and most of the weekends.

EP