55+ (was: Boxford pirate's coax cable cut)

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 12:11:31 EDT 2009

One could get XM/Sirius which has 40s and 50s stations, etc. (When I
visit my Dad on Cape Cod and help him shop, I put XM 40s on 4, the
"Savoy Express" on (my Dad can't drive any more so I do the honors).
They also have a beautiful music station, Escape.)

Some college stations have oldies. WMWM has a Saturday night oldies
block with the group-sound Uncle Henry's Basement (on since '89) and a
rotating series of shows that feature rockabilly, and 50s/60s
R&B/blues, etc. Sometimes I'll throw in Bo Diddley or
Chuck Berry on my blues show and will mention "you won't hear these on
the oldies station down the dial". Uncle Jack's Roadhouse, a country
and roots show on Sat.
afternoons, will do some country or blues oldies.

It's only for a minute or so, maybe not even, but usually you can hear
a Sinatra tune as bumper music on Laura Ingraham (WRKO, etc.) I think
she does it for her dad...

WATD does have some interesting stuff. I think they still have a wee-hours (Tue
nights?) oldies show done by a legally blind DJ, IIRC.

I would think that older listeners will enjoy news/talk or sports but
for music, there's not much out there on local terrestrial radio