ESPN saying nothing for now

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Tue Sep 22 04:38:17 EDT 2009

That ESPN to 850 rumor just won't go away. Entercom in a recent press
release talked about moving WEEI to FM "within months," so until that
happens I would expect ESPN to stay mum on the subject.  Then the
question becomes, does ESPN buy 850 outright, or do they cut an
affiliate deal with Entercom for the signal.

With WCRB now off the table, it looks like Entercom will have to
sacrifice either Mike FM or WAAF.  Considering Entercom is in no big
hurry to make the switchover, I'm wondering if there are more related
moves afoot.  Most rumors have WEEI landing on 93.7 which would
displace Mike FM.  I agree, since that's their best signal within the
city itself.  But, I personally think WAAF will be the odd one out.
With Tom Finneran's contract ending at the end of the year, I'm
thinking that Entercom will take AAF morning man Hillman (who's been
talking a lot of politics lately) and put him on 680.  That's about
the only compelling show on WAAF right now and with Hillman on WRKO, I
could see Mike moving over to 107.3 & 97.7.

-Dave Tomm