If WMKK becomes WEEI

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sat Sep 12 16:10:57 EDT 2009

WBOS is essentially a gold based alternative station, focusing on the
90's and early 2000's, with a few 80's tracks and currents thrown in.
Core artists for them include Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots,
Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.  Just as WMKK is an updated version of the
oldies format for Generation X, 92.9 is the new "classic rock" for
that generation.  Like WMKK, WBOS is doing very well with the money
demos.  Cume and share are up from the previous AAA format.  I'm sure
they will gain even more with WBCN going away.  WBOS won't be changing
a thing.

The station to watch is WODS.  Now that they've retired the "oldies"
name, I could easily see them transitioning to a Mike-like format.
They're already playing four or five 80's songs an hour.  All they'd
have to do is dump the 60's, add the 90's and some 2000's tracks, and
get rid of the jocks.  They'd save in overhead, and improve their
25-54 numbers.  They could even continue to do all-Christmas, and make
the changes during the holiday hiatus.  If Mike becomes WEEI this
fall, variety hits will probably come to WODS.

-Dave Tomm