890 WAMG (ESPN) to launch new format Monday

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Fri Sep 11 15:53:13 EDT 2009

The logical guess would be 1260, but Disney is just as committed to
the Radio Disney format as they are to ESPN Radio.  I haven't tuned
into WMKI since my son aged out of it, but they used to have quite a
few local sponsors, including Jordan's Furniture.  They also were
promotionally active.  They shared a station vehicle with the RD
station in Providence, and I would see it throughout Metrowest.  Radio
Disney does have a 24/7 channel on both Sirius and XM, so it's
possible they'll sacrifice 1260 for ESPN, figuring most mom's cruising
around in their late model minivans probably have satellite radios in
their dashboards.

The big move ESPN should make?  Get into an agreement with Nassau and
put it on 99.5.  Nassau could use the cash infusion right now, and if
they won't sell the signal outright, they would probably welcome a
brokerage agreement.  That would really be the only move that makes
ESPN radio somewhat relevant in the market.  But it's also possible
that the radio end is not as important to ESPN, and 1260, while almost
as limited as 890, would suit their gameplan for the website.

-Dave Tomm