Champlain Valley "album" station WCLX ceases

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu Sep 10 14:38:53 EDT 2009

There is now a statement from owner Dennis Jackson on
the "comments" page.

http://www.musicheads.us/#/comments/4530089496

He states that "too many advertisers have not been paying
their bills", and he had been paying the station's expenses
mostly from his own pocket recently. The station had been
running at a loss which he could no longer afford to fund.

I know that the station was run on a shoestring by a husband
and wife team out of their house. When one of them wasn't
hosting live, it was automated. I don't know whether there
was even an additional sales person. A few years ago, their
old website had a job posting looking for one, but it's gone.
They may not have had the budget to pay for one any more.

I don't know whether a listener-supported model like WJIB
could work in a smaller, more rural market like Burlington,
VT without the big-city economy and denser population of
greater Boston surrounding it.

It's a bummer to see yet another of the last holdouts of
progressive musical programming leave the airwaves.

EP