WTKK enters second decade as a talker

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Wed Sep 9 10:08:49 EDT 2009

http://www.bostonradiowatch.com

WTKK celebrates its 10th anniversary as a talk station. In started in Sept. of 1999, and had been WSJZ smooth jazz.
The WSJZ calls still existed for a short time after the format shift
I think for a time they shifted to Imus in the morning followed by smooth jazz the rest of the day but finally the day came when their local talk began at 10 am, I believe, with Stacy Taylor. Somewhere I have the first couple minutes of Taylor's first show, where he tells listeners he knows some of them will be disappointed with the format switch and he suggests they come down to the station and hold protest signs "and make sure you have the call letters or
frequency, that's very important" (to get them publicity on TV and in papers, I guess.) He also mentions that
"Jay" (Severin) would be on later. (Jay used to do 10 pm-mid on WRKO a while before, then left.)

It was Imus, then Stacy Taylor till 2, and Severin 2-6.

Ratings-wise they haven't been all that hot lately. In the past Severin had won his time slot. They did try to land Howie Carr and I wonder how that would have gone.

Fybush mentions the flip http://www.bostonradio.org/nerw/nerw-990910.html
(Stacy Taylor was indeed a temp, and Mike Barnicle came in...) The following week, acc. to Fybush, Barnicle was on for one two hour shift on Thursdays; someone named Margery Eagan (yup!) came in to do the post-Imus slot,
and after the Herald's Track gals at 6 pm for an hour it was back to smooth jazz(!)
I do remember Severin in those early days asking his listeners to become regular ones, "or else we may wind up going back to Kenny G"