WEEI vs 98.5 - Triumph Of Form Over Content?

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Fri Sep 4 01:48:40 EDT 2009

I snipped the rest of your commentary for brevity's sake, but I wanted
to throw in my two cents....

So far the Sports Hub has had a successful sign-on.  The production is
far superior to WEEI, and obviously so is the reception and sound
quality.  They're going right into the Pats & Bruins seasons, so
they'll be sampled a bunch this fall.  They're doing what they need to
be right now, sticking strictly to sports outside of T&R.  They're
attracting disillusioned WEEI listeners like yourself, and it will
help them build a solid core listening base.  They're doing all the
right things right now.  I'd like to see them a little more
promotionally active, but otherwise the format flip has gone well.
BTW, the Sport Hub has taken digs at WEEI too, like being able to be
heard under bridges.

You complain about all the non-sports talk on WEEI.  However, just
about every successful sports station around the country has some non-
sports topics on from time to time.  WFAN does it.  So does WIP/
Philly.  Even ESPN Radio isn't all box scores and trade talk 24/7.
98.5 has to be hardcore sports right now to build up "cred" in the
market.  However, eventually they'll have to weave in other topics as
well.  WEEI has gone way the other way though.  The whole station is a
series of inside jokes and personal agendas.  The presentation is
predictable and stale.  It's the same aging personalities with the
same opinions and jokes day after day.  They got fat and lazy, and now
they're scrambling to get back on track.  Their ratings have taken a
dive the last couple of books, and that's before the Sports Hub signed
on.  The problem is, they sound old.  Considering their hosts are
primarily in their 50's and have been on the air there since the very
beginning, it's no wonder.  The Sports Hub sounds younger, the pace is
faster, and they stay on topic.  My guess is the younger sports radio
listener will gravitate there, instead of the AM "graveyard" of WEEI.

Don't count WEEI out though.  Heritage goes a long way in this market,
and they will have a loyal core of listeners who will stay with them
no matter how successful 98.5 gets.  But, there has been a seismic
shift in the landscape.  I see this playing out similarly to the WRKO/
WTKK battle.  680 has the higher ratings, but they're mostly 55+.
96.9 has higher 25-54 numbers, and they bill better (and now that the
Sox are off 680, 96.9 should bill a lot better than WRKO.)  I predict
the same type of thing happening with WEEI and WBZ-FM.  Still, that
will eventually take a major chunk out of WEEI's revenues.  They need
to change things and hope to just minimize the damage.  You knew they
were worried when they shortened up the stopsets and put all the Sox
games back on 850.  If they resort to blowing up WAAF or WMKK to put
WEEI on FM, you'll know they're in panic mode.

-Dave Tomm