WTAG-TV? I-86

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Nov 24 15:09:35 EST 2009

<<On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:59:36 -0500, Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com> said:

> What drives me crazy when driving around Chicago is that all the
> traffic reports on the radio refer to the highways by the names which
> the natives use, yet my maps and the signs mostly use the interstate
> highway numbers.  You'de think that with my sister living in the area
> for the last almost 30 years and me visiting mostly annually that
> I'de have the names figured out, but that is not yet the case.

Once you do get them figured out, they change the names.  I still
haven't quite gotten over the Calumet being called the (Bishop) Ford
now.  And didn't they rename the East-West Tollway at some point?
(Wikipedia says that it's now the Ronald Reagan Tollway.)

Unlike in Boston, the Chicago radio traffic people seem to adopt the
new names fairly quickly.

-GAWollman