WTAG-TV? I-86

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 09:54:07 EST 2009

Yeah, the near-miss was in Chemung county, IIRC.  Down near the PA border.

As for the "specific timetable", I got a good laugh out of that one.  A
very rueful laugh, I might add, and not directed at you.  It's just that
Albany does things when it damn well pleases, not when a little thing
like "the law" says so.  Scott might be less cynical than me, but I
think he'll back me up here.

It was especially noticeable when the state senate switched to
Democratic control, and mostly downstate Democratic control at that.
I've no love for Republicans but it was amazing how fast funding for
anything north of Westchester suddenly disappeared eleven months ago.

Aaron Read                  |  Finger Lakes Public Radio
friedbagels@gmail.com       |  General Manager (WEOS & WHWS-LP)
Geneva, NY 14456            |  www.weos.org / www.whws.fm

"I don't know all the politics, but given the state's budget crisis and
how little anyone in Albany ever cares about the Southern Tier, and the
terrain (in some places it's basically mountain on one side, river on
the other) I don't think the DOT will *ever* build proper US Interstate
System interchanges/flyovers there."

Unless the state legislature modifies the Transportation Equity Act for
the 21st Century, which was passed in 1998 and which specifically sets
out the funding and timetable for the project, the entire 381 miles of
the east-west portion of NY-17 and its seven-mile extension into PA are
already slated for conversion to I-86.  There are still substantion
portions of the upgrade not yet finished, including portions of the road
in Chemung (exits 56-59), Binghamton (the "Kamikaze Curve") and the
Catskill Mountains (exits 84-87 and 97-99).  I'll bet your near-miss was
in one of those areas.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor