UHF in Southern New England (was WHNB/WVIT Channel 30 (was Re:WTAG-TV?))

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Nov 21 23:02:03 EST 2009

Interesting contrast with New York's Capital district, only about 100
miles away. No doubt, however, that would have turned out much
different if WRGB hadn't been a legacy VHF signal and if ways hadn't
been found to drop two short-spaced VHF channels (10 and 13) into the
market. What I never undestood and still don't understand, though, is
why10 and 13 didn't swap transmitter sites (or channels). I believe
that both 10 and 13 used directional antennas to protect the stations
to which they were short spaced. Thirteen's Bald Mtn site (originally
built for 35) is east of most of the population in the market (ideal
for 10, which was short-spaced to Providence), Ten's Helderberg site
is south of most of the market population and is short spaced to WNET.
Had the two stations swapped channels or sites, most of the market
population would have gotten, in effect, full-power signals from both
10 and 13.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367