WTAG-TV?

Jim Hall aerie.ma@comcast.net
Fri Nov 20 10:14:35 EST 2009

Someone once told me that the purpose of I-190/I-395 was to enable troops
from Fort Devens to reach the nuclear submarine and coast guard bases in New
London, CT rapidly in the event of a national emergency. You will notice
some enormous shoulder areas on the portion of I-190 north of Worcester:
supposedly those were to allow tanks or other large military vehicles a
place to pull off the road. This may all be apocryphal, however. :)

Back in the late '70s when I-190 was being built, I was told that there
had been plans for a four-lane highway between Leominster and Worcester
(an expansion of Route 12, presumably) since 1943.  One wonders why the
delay.  -Doug