[B-R-I] Re: WHDH-DT Ch 7 Turn Off

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Nov 15 13:43:13 EST 2009

My Panasonic LCD TV generates different messages for no program
content (message: "Program not available") and no signal (message: "No
signal"). When I made my initial attempt at rescanning to get rid of
the no video/no sound 7.1 and 7.2, I was getting the "Program not
available" message on the non-functional 7.1 and 7.2. I
realized after the fact that, therefore, there had been no reason for
me to expect that my initial rescan would get rid of the two
non-functional 7s. I other words, I should have waited to rescan
until the non-functional 7s caused the "No signal" message to appear.
So yesterday evening (Saturday 11/14), I checked to make sure that I
was getting the "No signal" message on both of the non-functional 7s.
When I found that to be the case, I rescanned thinking I now would
surely eliminate the two non-functional selections. As the scan
progressed, I became even more sure that, this time, rescanning was
going to produce the desired result; this time, the scan had detected
25 channels, whereas on the previous attempt it had detected 26. I
thought the channel that could no longer be detected must have been 7.
(But two RF 7s had supposedly been deleted--7-1 and 7-2, so it seemed
odd that the number of "channels" detected had dropped by only one.)
Anyhow, I was wrong; I still got two 7.1's and two 7.2's, of which one
displayed "No signal" and one displayed the appropriate program
content. My next step will be to unplug the TV from the AC power line
and wait a few minutes before restoring the AC power and re-scanning.
My new theory is that the set won't forget the non-functioning 7s
until I remove the power that is sustaining the memory. If, when I
restore the power, the set goes immediately to setup mode, I think I
can assume that any previous memory of the channel mapping has been
wiped out. But if I then still get two 7-1's and two 7-2's of which
one of each continues to provide no program, I'm going to be quite
mystified and I will just have to give up. This exercise has got to be
WAY too complicated for the average bear!

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367