TV viewers in Hilly areas sacrificed

Mark Casey map@mapinternet.com
Mon Nov 9 09:49:41 EST 2009

The end of fringe tv reception in mountainous or even, just hilly areas, is
one of the bad results of digital tv. Many less VHF channels bending over
the hills to supply rural areas with multiple signals. Although, in the flat
areas of the country, my experience is that the digital signals are in some
cases, almost as good, and in other cases, even better than their old
analog, given the actual frequencies used.
One thing that hasn't worked out, especiually given the Channel 7/42
example, is the original power limits on VHF. 15kw is just not enough on
VHF-hiband to equal analog at 316kw or digital UHF with 1000kw. VHF hiband
digital stations need at least 20% (63.2kw) , and maybe a lot more in an
area with mountainouis terrain, to equal their old analog 316kw. I'll bet
that if channel 7 was allowed to go up to 50% of their old analog power,
with digital on RF Ch 7, all of their signal problems would dissapear, and
they might even replicate their original footprint in the mountainous areas
of central & western MA, NH, etc.
Of course, then  the redesigned station spacing might be compromised in some
cases.

Probably, the best case for the present situation is for the digitals that
are on VHF to be given increases to as high a power as possible without
interference to other stations. Directional antennas may help in some cases.
The highest I've seen on VHF hiband is around 63 kw. That will help, but
there are still going to be many places in the hilly areas all around the
country that will continue to have lost most of their off the air stations.
Channel 7 has moved and is, or has made the move to 42 permanent. Would they
be willing to go back to 7 if given more power? And, will TV stations want
to invest any more money in their off the air signal. I don't have a good
feeling for that.

So, many of you folks in the far-flung mountainous areas have been
sacrificed.

Mark Casey