WGBH cancels blues, some folk programming

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Sat Nov 7 03:21:01 EST 2009

WGBH has made what it calls a difficult decision, cancelling the long running Blues on WGBH (formerly Blues After
Hours with the late Mai Cramer) and Folk on WGBH. This is all part of the move due next month where they will start to
offer classical music commercial free on WCRB 99.5

http://www.wgbh.org/listen/goodbyefolkandblues.cfm

They mention stations like WUMB as places where folk can still be heard. Some shows, like A Celtic Sojourn and Prairie
Home Companion, will stay, though. The folk and blues hosts were thanked.

I know I for one found shows like Blues After Hours a great way to discover and learn about the blues.

>>As we refocus the 89.7 schedule on news and information, it became apparent that it would not be possible to retain all of the nonnews elements of our schedule.

"We've Got Blues Here"--Mai Cramer