WCVB - new source of revenue

'iraapple' iraapple@comcast.net
Tue May 26 13:43:29 EDT 2009

This appears to be what is called an NCSA meaning Non-Commercial Sustaining
Announcement.

No nefarious government plot here. If I am correct it comes through the
State Association of Broadcasters the same as spots for National Guard, the
Coast Guard and a number of other non-commercial associations.

FROM the TDGA (Traffic Directors Guild of America) Radio-Television Terms &
Definitions:

"NCSA's are used when Radio/TV broadcast commercials or other announcements
on behalf of a third party. The most common NCSA procedure is for State
Broadcaster Associations. Advertisers arrange for coverage through State
Associations to receive statewide coverage for their campaigns by
"advertising" on State Association member stations. The Advertiser pays the
State Association and the Association uses the proceeds for broadcaster
projects such a s scholarship programs, internships, etc. Stations may elect
to participate or decline NCSA campaigns.

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Robert S Chase
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:01 PM
To: boston-radio-interest@tsornin.bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: WCVB - new source of revenue

Back in the day radio and TV stations did these types of spots for free.
They were called PSAs. I guess now that it is a political issue it goes into

the category of revenue streaming. I suppose the government has an interest
in enforcing existing laws by notification and education but should it also
be allowed to take sides in proselytizing for new law or changes in the law
to the public?  Should government agencies be allowed to buy time to
advocate a point of view? Should the people who are holding office be
allowed to buy time using government funds on radio and television to
advocate a point of view?