Radio's 100th

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sat May 23 13:33:51 EDT 2009

Some claim WBZ Springfield was the first to air paid ads.

My Dad grew up in Newton and was born in 1908 and he told me his first
memory of radio was hearing the great war in Europe was over which was
in 1918. What he remembered about it was the magic box was saying this
news came from the Boston Post newsroom. The radio was at the local
barber shop.He also recalled the excitement a few weeks earlier when
the barber shop knew the Red Sox had won the World Series before the
papers came out. I would surmise the station was the one in Medford
but who knows for sure.