Jazz Brunch, R.I.P.

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Tue May 12 18:03:35 EDT 2009

> From: "Larry Weil" <kc1ih@mac.com>
> Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:42 PM
>
> Today was the last show of The Jazz Brunch on
> WFNX, after a 26 year run.  Host Jeff Turton
> said he would read a statement in the last hour,
> but I was unable to listen at that time. Did
> anyone hear the statement who could summarize
> what was said, or have any further info as to
> why the show was cancelled?

Jazz publicist Sue Auclair sent this out as part
of an email. Sorry about the paste, but it was in
an email, so there is no direct link:

Boston-MA--May 11, 2009--Jazz host Jeff Turton
announced today that WFNX FM has cancelled his
show, The Sunday Jazz Brunch, as of his show
yesterday after 26 years on the air.

“I got a call late last week informing me that
this past Sunday would be my last show.  The
reason being given is budget cuts related to
diminished revenues at both ‘FNX and at the
Boston Phoenix. While I wasn't surprised, given
the nature of the newspaper business and radio
in general, I am incredibly disappointed.  I’m
not sure where to go next but I guess I'll sleep
in for a couple of weekends and then figure it out.
I still plan on being active in some way but
everything happened pretty quickly so I really
haven't had much of an opportunity to figure out
what's next,” noted Turton on Monday morning.

EP