Cuts at WJAR

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Tue Mar 31 20:15:34 EDT 2009

On Tue, 3/31/09, Maureen Carney <m_carney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Meterologist Gary Ley (who was with the station 24 years),
> weekend anchor Kelley McGee and news director Betty-Jo
> Cugini among the cuts. Media General is talking cuts in
> other stations (Raliegh, Tampa.) Not a good time in the
> industry.
>
> http://www.projo.com/business/content/BZ_CHANNEL_10_CUTS_03-31-09_F7DSNHD_v18.30aa71a.html

I never thought I'd see a time where TV and radio were in as bad shape as the newspaper industry.

Media General is looking to cluster properties (newspapers, TV) in geographic markets as much as possible, see Tampa, so I would not be surprised if they dumped WJAR at some point soon (if they can find a buyer).