herald comments

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Thu Mar 5 12:02:26 EST 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Sean Smyth wrote:

> On Thu, 3/5/09, Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com> wrote:
>> A commenter, who will remain nameless, took me to task this
>> morning, questioning my scholarship, my intelligence, and
>> even my sanity regarding the way I was quoted in the Herald
>> today.
>>
>> I replied to him thusly, "I really was taken badly out
>> of context, which is what happens when reporters talk to you
>> for an hour and then use one half of a sentence.  My
>> comments were referring to him in 1994, but hey I take my
>> publicity where I can get it!!!"
>
> That's the way I read the comments, too. Why did you feel it was
> taken out of context?
>
> (Here is the article for those who have not read it: http://
> tinyurl.com/aha7ou. Donna is quoted at the end.)

I read the original article in the Herald this morning and at first
glance I thought Donna's quote didn't make sense.  "We took back
Congress when Rush stepped up" looks very odd in light of today's
history, and in the use of the word "we".  But I read it a second
time (before seeing any of this conversation) and the meaning was
clear:  Donna was quoting what a Republican might say about the 1994
elections after Rush Limbaugh emerged as a personality.

It could probably have been written better to eliminate that double-
take in reading it.  But I don't think it misrepresented what Donna
was trying to say.