FD - Can we move on already

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 12:33:20 EST 2009

> I just don't like the idea of government regulating speech. President
> Barack Obama and
> former President Jimmy Carter don't either. They didn't support the
> Fairness Doctrine. Are
> we being alarmist here? Maybe so, but you can't be too careful.

The same argument the Right uses to say the FD is not needed ("There are
plenty of other media out there today to compete!"), is the same argument
that you don't have to worry about the "government regulating speech".
There are plenty of other media that are free from any government
interference...as long as you are using your own dime....your own resources.

The government is entrusted with regulating public resources...especially
limited public resources.  And to make sure they are used fairly.

The government's job is to provide a level playing field...and provide for
full debate...and not let the debate be controlled by a few.

(Pssst.!  I am a conservative who lived through the years when the FD was in
full force...and I am not afraid of it.)