The courtship of NBC by the Hearld-Traveler

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Jun 22 00:19:22 EDT 2009

On 21 Jun 2009 at 1:58, Scott Fybush wrote:

> Long answer, sort of: Westinghouse was still pre-empting some NBC
> shows ("Later," for instance) right up to the end, and if a stronger
> affiliate had been available, NBC would no doubt have looked to jump,
> but channel 7 was still a weak player back then, and it was far from a
> given that 7 and NBC would join forces after WHDH lost the CBS
> affiliation to WBZ; I recall talk of NBC looking to buy channel 56 at
> the time.

I seem to remember some talk of NBC possibly going to channel 25,
leaving 7 with Fox.

> (It didn't help that WHDH and Ed Ansin had their own history of
> network issues; Ansin had fought with the network over its plans to
> disaffiliate from his WSVN in Miami, which left NBC owning a CBS
> affiliate in Miami for a few months, and he had no qualms about
> ditching CBS programming on WHDH if he could, so CBS's morning show
> was airing on WMFP for a while in 1994 while "7 News" ran through 9 AM
> on WHDH.)

I do remember that the Today Show was a sticking point with NBC and
7, and the affiliation announcement included the statement that
channel 7 would carry all of the Today Show.

And then there was the flap more recently about whether channel 7
would carry Jay Leno's new show at 10:00.