The courtship of NBC by the Hearld-Traveler

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Jun 21 16:24:46 EDT 2009

<<On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:52:50 -0400, Mike Ward <mward@iname.com> said:

> Just to make this complete, since you didn't mention it...Cleveland's
> WJW was also mixed up in the New World/Fox deal.   It was an old Storer
> station, like WJBK in Detroit.  CBS ended up on what was Malrite-owned
> Fox affiliate WOIO/19 (now Raycom).

Yes, New World had ended up with nearly all of the old Storer
stations, with WSBK being the most notable exception, when they bought
SCI/Gillett.  They also ended up with a big group of ex-Taft stations,
including WDAF-TV in KC and WGHP in the Triad.  Meanwhile, Scripps had
gotten many of those pre-existing ABC affiliates (including WXYZ) as
spin-offs from Capital Cities when CCCC bought ABC.

I reworked my previous posting into a new page in the "Articles and
Essays" section of the Archives:
<http://www.bostonradio.org/essays/1994-tv-affiliation-mess>.

-GAWollman