Digital TV reception problem

Rick Levy rlevy@broadcastsignallab.com
Sat Jun 20 17:46:17 EDT 2009

Quoth Maureen Carney,

I now have another strange issue - the box picks up WHDH on both 7 and 42
and shows it twice (using virtual mapping to 7.1 & 7.2 for channel 42). So
if I am sequentially going through the channels it will go 6.1, 7.1, 7.2,
7.1, 7.2, 10.1 and on. Anyone else picking up both?<<

It's not your equipment.  WHDH-DT is currently simulcasting on channels 7
and 42.  After filing an urgent application last Monday to revert
temporarily to 42 (in addition to operating on 7), they received permission
on Tuesday to do so, and switched 42 back on again.  You are evidently not
among the viewers unable to receive 7 despite rescanning.  The station
reportedly had *lots* of calls over the weekend, prompting the FCC
application.

Rick Levy
Broadcast Signal Lab, LLP
Cambridge, Mass.