The courtship of NBC by the Hearld-Traveler

Doug Drown revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Sat Jun 20 14:27:03 EDT 2009

My gosh, have YOU brought back an obscure memory!  I remember The Ruff and
Reddy Show, I remember Captain Bob being the host, and at the age of eight I
couldn't figure out why NBC would be carrying a show that apparently was
produced by an ABC affiliate.  I also recall The Tonight Show being carried
by channel 5 (did it broadcast the initial fifteen-minute segment that began
at 11:15, or wait till 11:30?  When Carson later switched to channel 4, the
show didn't begin until 11:30).

I knew that the H-T had purchased state-of-the-art RCA equipment when it
built the channel 5 studios, but hadn't realized that there were other
things going on behind the scenes.   The whole story of NBC and its 1956-64
dealings with Westinghouse is an interesting tale --- how KYW got moved from
Philly to Cleveland and then back, how at one point WBZ-TV and WNAC-TV were
going to do a network switch that wound up not happening almost at one
minute to midnight . . . What was NBC's original gripe against Westinghouse,
anyway?

-Doug