WHDH-DT Now Simulcasting

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jun 16 22:58:04 EDT 2009

Roger Kirk wrote:
> Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
>  >> Not that I trust $40 coupon tuners to do the right thing.
>
> News story today on WBZ (AM) about Worcester residents having major
> problems receiving Digital TV stations after 6/12.

When the dust settles on the initial phase of the DTV transition, it
seems to me that Worcester is one of those places just screaming for a
coordinated installation of DTS (distributed transmission system)
transmitters by the major Boston stations. There's a dense population
concentration there that has serious terrain issues with the signals
from Needham/Newton, and copious available sites for DTS relays.

The same might be true of central New Hampshire.

I suspect that in the long run, such a system might be less expensive
(and would almost certainly work better) than the brute-force approach
of increasing DTV power levels that seems likely in the near future.

I suspect there might be some issues with spacing, however, for several
of the Boston stations - WCVB, for instance, is now short-spaced to
WTXX-DT 20 in Connecticut. I'm not sure if a directional antenna would
resolve that to the FCC's satisfaction or not.