End of Analog

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Jun 13 01:09:22 EDT 2009

<<On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 00:25:46 -0400, "A. Joseph Ross" <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> I had my small 2-inch portable on at midnight, when the transition
> took place.  I was on channel 5 when the transition took place --
> probably a mistake, since 7 might have been more interesting.
> Channel 7 is gone on this analog set.  Channels 2, 4. and 5 have DTV
> instructions.  On UHF, everything is gone except a weak signal arounc
> channel 26 or something, I assume an LP station.

The schedule for 7 and 56 was as follows:

11:56 - drop 56 analog by remote control from the 7 tx building
11:59 - drop 42 (transitional digital) by remote control
11:59:30 - shut down the old 7 analog Larcan (took about 15 seconds)
11:59:45 - remotely operate antenna switch to put new 7 tx on the antenna
11:59:51 - power up new 7 digital tx (took about five seconds)
31:00 - carry old Larcan in pieces to dumpster

All of the work was performed by Brian Edgerton under the supervision
of Director of Engineering Jim Shultis.

According to Jim, the old 7 transmitter was the oldest Larcan still
operating.

-GAWollman