...and speaking of anniversaries...

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Jun 12 23:38:46 EDT 2009

My guess would be that WTRY picked up the CBS Radio affiliation when
it went full time. Dunno when that was but I believe it was just
before the start of World War II. When I arrived in Troy (September
'52), the Capital district AM dial had gotten pretty full. Aside from
WHAZ, which was a non-comm share timer (sharing with WEVD and WBBR in
New York City; THAT WBBR was unrelated to the current one) owned by
RPI and operating exactly six hours a week (Monday 6:00PM to
midnight--but licensed to stay on until Tuesday at 3:00AM!), you had
WROW, WGY, WXKW, WTRY, WSNY (1240 Schenectady--not much of a signal in
Albany or Troy), WABY, WOKO, and WPTR. Of those, WROW, WXKW, and WPTR
had all signed on in 1947 or 1948. Until duopolies ended in 1943, WOKO
and WABY were co-owned. It was before my time, but I believe that WTRY
began as a daytimer. I think the original sign-on might have been in
1939. The transmitter was north of Latham Circle. I wasn't there then,
but I think that in 1941, WTRY added a second tower at the original
site and went full-time with 1 kW-U DA-1. After the War, WTRY moved to
Niskayuna where it built the three-tower array that still stands and
increased to 5 kW-U DA-1. I think WTRY was already the CBS affiliate
when the Niskayuna site went on the air. Sometime after CKGM Montreal
moved from 980 to 990, WTRY became ND days, keeping the former DA-1
pattern at night.

So until WTRY went full time, the network lineup probably would have
been NBC: WGY,  CBS: WOKO, ABC and Mutual (found on the same station
in quite a few markets): WABY. Generally speaking, the networks did
not affiliate with daytimers, although there were exceptions (more
with Mutual than the other networks), and NBC and CBS would affiliate
only with stations where they could be the sole network (but, again,
there were exceptions).

BTW, as I recall the Capital District FM dial in 1952, there were four
or five stations: WEVR 91.3 Troy (Hudson Valley Tech), WFLY 92.3 Troy
(transmitting from the Helderbergs, owned by the Troy Record, Rural
Radio Network/'QXR Network), WROW-FM 93.9, and WGFM 99.5 (sister of
WGY, transmitting from the WRGB (TV) site in the Helderbergs). I think
that WAMC (90.7?) had already been built (or maybe was soon to be
built) atop Mt Greylock and was easily audible in Troy and the rest of
the Capital District. WROW-FM was simulcasting WROW for six hours a
day with 800W @ ~20' AAT from a telephone pole adjacent to the WROW Tx
building (then in Glenmont).

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)