...and speaking of anniversaries...

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Wed Jun 10 23:20:27 EDT 2009

Hi Scott-

Albany had a pretty confusing early TV history, too.

My Dad worked for a short time in the late 40's at WTRI-FM, which was
co-owned with WTRY (980, now WOFX)) and spawned WTRI-TV, which I think was a
UHF that eventually morphed into channel 13. WTRI-FM went off the air in the
early 50's, and AFAIK WTRY didn't have an FM partner again until the
consolidation movement in the 90's. In the late 1950's, I went to the
WTRI-FM site on Heldeberg Mountain with my Dad, and I recall the tower
sections stacked on the ground with the weeds growing up over them.

WROW (590) was co-owned with channel 10.

Channel 10 was originally WROW-TV on channel 41, eventually became three UHF
stations, WCDA(41), WCDB(29), and WCDC (originally WMGT on channel 74, but
eventually WCDC on 19).

WCDA was on the WRPI tower in Troy, WCDB was on a very early 1000' tower in
Vail Mills (licensed to Hagaman), on the south end of Scanadaga Lake, and
WCDC still exists on Mount Greylock in the Berkshires. When they got channel
10, WCDA and WCDB were abandoned. They removed the tower at Vail Mills, and
I guess they donated the Troy tower to RPI. I visited the Vail Mills site
years ago, and the concrete was still there. As a kid, I free-climbed the
WRPI tower (yes, the statute of limitations passed a long time ago).

Of course, GE Broadcasting was the powerhouse in the market from the
beginning. WGY (reputedly named for Wirless General electric schenectadY)
was arguably the first 50kW station in the world. WGFM was an obvious choice
of call signs. Channel 6 was named for Dr. Walter Ransom Gail Baker, a GE
and IRE engineering luminary who also spent some time at GE competitor RCA
(http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Walter_Baker)

Interestingly, there is a tie between the GE stations and channel 10
involving none other than WRGBaker. It seems that old WRG was an
entrepreneur who built some statons in upstate NY that were acquired by the
Outlet Company. At one time, Cap Cities owned both WTEN and the Outlet
Company's WPRO-TV (now WPRI).

-d