...and speaking of anniversaries...

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Jun 10 20:57:06 EDT 2009

Mark Watson wrote:
>  On this day (June 10th) in 1951, Ike and Maurice Cohen put WCAP (980
> Lowell) on the air for it's first day of broadcasting. 58 years later,
> WCAP is still locally owned and operated, with Clark Smidt's Merrimack
> Valley Radio LLC continuing the commitment to locally owned and focused
> radio the Cohen brothers started. And WCAP's main studio is still in the
> same place it's been since day one.

With the same pegboard on the walls!

Speaking of anniversaries, out here in Rochester tomorrow will mark the
60th anniversary of local television. It was on June 11, 1949 that
WHAM-TV 6 signed on, providing a local choice for viewers who'd
previously had to struggle to pick up WBEN-TV 4 from Buffalo or WHEN-TV
8 from Syracuse, both of which had signed on in 1948.

WHAM-TV moved to channel 5 in 1952, became WROC-TV in 1956, and moved
once more to channel 8 in 1962.

Fittingly, it will be the last Rochester station to end analog
programming Friday night, if only by five minutes: we'll flip to the
nightlight loop on WXXI-TV at 11:30, and then WROC will turn off their
analog signal for good at 11:35, live at the end of the 11 PM news.

(I'm glad I live just a few minutes from the WROC-TV transmitter; I'll
be able to be up there for the end of channel 8 at 11:35, then run home
to see the last few analogs in the region - WNYO-TV 49 from Buffalo and
several of the Syracuse stations - sign off for good.)

Then I'll get some sleep!