WXYT -Detroit wants to move their transmitter location

A. Joseph Ross Joe@attorneyross.com
Thu Jun 4 14:06:17 EDT 2009

On 4 Jun 2009 Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> I suspect that if, say, CKLW IDed as CKLW Detroit, the ID would NOT
> have been illegal in Canada. If I'm not mistaken, a Canadian legal ID
> consists only of the call letters. So, as with US stations that
> legally append to their legal IDs the names of communities to which
> they are not licensed, a Canadian station could probably legally
> append to its legal ID the name of a community to which it was not
> licensed. Probably doesn't matter if the named community was on the
> other side of the border.

It may be more complicated than that, and, as in the US, the rules
may have changed over time.  Right now CBC stations don't ID their
call letters at all, just their location (e.g. "CBC Toronto").  I
don't think they have to ID their call letters except at sign-on and
sign-off.  That may not always have been the case.  As others have
pointed out, CKLW used to ID as "CKLW Windsor" occasionally,
undoubtedly just often enough to cover the law.

And when they used to do that, I assume the Canadian content rules
were more lenient, or maybe nonexistent.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                   617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700            Fax: 617.507.7856