Radio and Records to Close?????

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Wed Jun 3 19:35:48 EDT 2009

In 1988, Casey left ABC and American Top 40 and went to Westwood One
to start Casey's Top 40.  That show used R&R data.  By 1998, Kasem had
re-acquired the AT40 name a few years after the Shadoe Stevens debacle
killed AT40.  He started up the show again with AMFM Networks, again
using R&R data.  The next year Mediabase began providing the airplay
charts for R&R.  AMFM eventually became Premiere Radio Networks.  This
arrangement continued even after he handed off AT40 to Ryan Seacrest.
Three years ago R&R was bought by VNU (later to be renamed the Neilson
Company.)  Neilson owns BDS, Mediabase's direct competitor.  As a
result, R&R switched from Mediabase to BDS for their chart data.
Since Premiere owns Mediabase and the rights to AT40, Mediabase became
the exclusive provider of data for not only AT40, but for Kasem's
current AC & Hot AC countdowns.

-Dave Tomm