750 CP's

Doug Drown revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Wed Jun 3 11:29:17 EDT 2009

>>Portsmouth had a great signal on 750 (WHEB) days with 1 kW and couldn't
>>support that in the long run as FM took over.

The old WHEB --- New Hampshire's second-oldest radio station --- was a 1-kw
daytimer that I could pick up easily from my home near Fitchburg when I was
a kid.  It could be heard well up into Maine, too.  It was an NBC affiliate
with a standards/pop music format.  It finally wound up simulcasting its
alt-rock FM counterpart.  Knight Quality switched it off in the mid-'70s and
tore down the towers, which were a local landmark.  I've often wondered why
they didn't just sell it.  As you say, it had a great signal.   -Doug