RIP Warren Doolin

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sun Jul 26 03:21:31 EDT 2009

I just learned of the sudden passing of Warren Doolin who died playing
tennis last Monday at the age of 71.

Warren was a news cameraman for WCVB and before that WNAC and also a
Red Sox season ticket holder since 1968.

If anything major happened at Fenway channel 5 would send Warren
sometimes paging him to meet the van even when he was at the game as a
fan. In 1986 he went to a pay phone and told the assignment desk you
better get someone to Fenway quick as history could be made. It was
the Roger 20K game.

I would get his tickets from time to time and he gave me his seats for
a game on October 2, 1978 because he could not go or work because it
was Yom Kippur. When I met him after sundown at the old Newbury Steak
House we downed a few....... :(

He was in Shea Stadium on that awful Saturday night and had to go into
the locker room twice. He was in setting up for the celebration that
never happened and then had to go back in afterwards.

Mike Lynch made sure he was in St Louis 5 years ago and was on the
field and locker room.

WCVB made him retire 3 years ago and it killed him.