WCCC-FM (was Re: Howie Carr remembers the heyday of WBCN)

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 14:16:26 EDT 2009

Hello, Bud,

WCCC-FM 106.9 comes in just fine in Westfield, it always has.  It's only 10 miles west of Springfield and less than 35 miles North from Hartford.  The AM on the other hand was always weak, and nobody listened to it.  But if you had a decent AM radio, you could hear it somewhat. But the AM was always ID'ed on both AM and FM. But in answer to your comments, most people on campus at WSC back in '79 listened to either WCCC-FM 106.9 or WAAF 107.3 (which today 'AAF no longer covers the area after their transmitter site moved).

In fact, virtually every Hartford station (Class B FM) like WDRC-FM, WTIC-FM, WHCN-FM comes in fine in Amherst.  In fact, I was driving to Amherst two weeks ago and listened to WDRC-FM 102.9 from Palmer, MA all the way to Amherst and never lost it.  Got 'DRC-FM in full Stereo all the way up UMass Amherst.  Sounds to me like you might have a receiver or antenna problem.

BTW: I lived in Western Massachusetts from '77-'80 and 'CCC-FM was a favorite of mine. And I've been in this businesss for 32 years, so I DO know what stations cover where. 73.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
"Scanning the bands since 1967"

radiojunkie3@yahoo.com