Howie Carr remembers the heyday of WBCN

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Mon Jul 20 00:00:50 EDT 2009

Like WBCN, WHCN had a long run as a progressive rocker in the late
60's  and evolved into an AOR station and stayed that way through the
mid 90's.  They shifted to classic rock in 1995, but by the early
2000's, the rock radio dial in Connecticut was very crowded, with
longtime crosstown rivals WCCC and modern rocker WMRQ, along with big
signalled stations from Springfield (WAQY) New Haven (WPLR) and
Danbury (WRKI) dividing up the rock pie.  In 2002 they shifted to a
rock AC/classic hits hybrid and changed their moniker to "The River."
They continue with this format today, but the WHCN calls remain.

-Dave Tomm