Breaking News: 98.5 becomes All Sports WBZ-FM

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Jul 15 01:40:10 EDT 2009

On 14 Jul 2009 at 11:39, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:

>  From Radio Info.com:
>
> **** and in the case of Boston, that means the demise of Boston rocker
> WBCN at 104.1. CBS is going to transfer its hot AC "Mix" WBMX from
> 98.5 to 104.1. On August 13, the new "Sports Hub" will debut on 98.5,
> featuring play-by-play from the NFL Patriots and NHL Boston Bruins,
> plus the current WBCN morning show of Toucher & Rich. New call letters
> for 98.5 - WBZ-FM. That station will directly challenge Boston's
> entrenched all-sports station, Entercom's WEEI at 850. In Washington,
> CBS confirms the much-rumored conversion of talker WJFK (106.7) to
> sports as "The Fan", as of July 20. The lineup will include the NBA
> Washington Wizards, plus - as rumored in T-R-I - the Westwood One NFL
> package. Details at Radio-Info.com - ******

So the original WNAC-FM becomes WBZ-FM.  Interesting.

It's a good move, I suppose, in launching a new sports station, to
use the WBZ call letters.  The recognition of heritage call letters
has its ups and downs, but this time the WBZ image might be helpful.

I wonder how long it will be before someone revives the WBCN call
letters.