Breaking News: 98.5 becomes All Sports WBZ-FM

Doug Drown revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Tue Jul 14 21:25:31 EDT 2009

>>By using the calls WBZ-FM for sports and the format shows promise you
>>could then see moving local news and talk to FM and all sports to
1030.

Anything is possible, but for the life of me I can't see this happening.
WBZ is not only a Boston, but a New England, institution.  Its evolution
into a news-and-talk station was very gradual, but through it all it has
held its own as the dominant AM station in the region.  I know people way up
here in the middle of Maine who listen to 'BZ regularly.   Seems to me CBS
would be foolish to shuffle the format over to FM.

I don't know much about WIP's history as a sports station, but
Westinghouse/CBS converted what was WMAQ to all-sports WSCR because WMAQ had
been in the ratings toilet trying to compete with WBBM as an all-news
station (a failed Westinghouse experiment).  And WFAN, under Emmis, was
all-sports for several years before it moved to 660 and got gobbled up by
CBS.   I don't think one can do comparisons here with any significant degree
of legitimacy.

-Doug