WBCN to sports at 98.5; WBMX to 104.1

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jul 14 15:41:25 EDT 2009

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:10:40 -0700 (PDT), Maureen Carney <m_carney@yahoo.com> said:
>
>> Two - this could be the death knell for ESPN890. They'll either be
>> foreign-language or birdfeed ESPN 24/7 by the end of the year.
>
> I bet Disney would be willing to pull ESPN from 890/1400 if it meant a
> decent amount of clearance on a station that people will actually
> listen to.

I don't think ESPN and 98.5 will be a good fit. If 98.5 is going to
work, it will be heavily local, without much room to clear ESPN's
product. We already know it will be local in mornings, so there goes the
flagship Mike & Mike show.

I think ESPN can survive as a niche on 890, for that relatively small
number of Boston listeners who want something other than nonstop
Sox/Pats/Bs/Cs. National sports is almost a completely separate format
from what WEEI does and what 98.5 should be doing, and I don't think
there's any other sports market in the country (except maybe NYC or
Philly) that's as parochial about its home teams.

Meanwhile, watch the fireworks from down in NYC - the Times is selling
WQXR for $45 million. Univision Radio pays $33.5 million for the 96.3
facility so it can move WCAA there from 105.9; WNYC pays $11.5 million
for the 105.9 facility and the WQXR intellectual property. WNYC-FM 93.9
will be all news/information, and WQXR on 105.9 will be noncommercial
classical 24/7.