Portable Digital TVs?

George Allen gallen2@nescaum.org
Thu Jul 9 12:43:56 EDT 2009

An idea -- consider a laptop with one of those usb tuners.  But
you're still going to need something more than whatever antenna comes
with it to get decent signals away from the source.  Any built-in is
probably good for 10-20 miles at best, and maybe less, regardless of the tuner.
    -- George

From: "Jim Hall" <aerie.ma@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:50:12 -0400
Does anyone know of a portable (battery-powered) digital TV that gets decent
reception with the built-in antenna?  I looked at an "Accurian" 7-inch TV at
Radio Shack today.  After reading online reviews, I knew enough to test it
in the store.  The TV has only a VHF-type single pole antenna built in, and
after going outside the store and scanning, it received no signal from any
station. Admittedly the Boston transmitters are 30-35 miles distant from the
store, but WZMY's antenna would probably be visible from the store's
location if there were no trees in the way.