No IBOC on 1200, 1330, 1600

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jul 6 10:58:30 EDT 2009

When the new Newton AM triplex at 750 Saw Mill Brook Pkwy was built,
all three stations' facilities supposedly included everything
necessary at the transmitter end to allow broadcasting in AM-band
IBOC. For sure, WKOX's studios, if not those of WRCA and WUNR, are
IBOC compatible (which I think simply means stereo capable, but may
also suggest that proper equalization/audio-compression equipment has
been installed). We know that the WKOX studios (in Medford, I believe)
have what it takes for IBOC because WKOX and WXKS (AM) are a 100%
simulcast and WKOX runs IBOC 24/7.

I figured that once all three stations had received licenses to cover
(it happened in late May), we'd be hearing that insufferable AM-band
IBOC hiss on 1190, 1210, 1320, 1340, 1590, and 1610. I don't miss the
hiss but you may be able to catch it only on 1190 when WHAM's skywave
comes in here. I've heard nothing that I could identify as IBOC hiss
on the other five frequencies, however. I can think of several reasons
why this might be so, but does anyone know the real reason?

Although both CCU (WKOX) and Beasley (WRCA) have been ardent and vocal
promoters of IBOC (including the AM-band variety), I don't think
Champion (WUNR) has a taken a position on IBOC. OTOH, AFAIK. WUNR did
install the necessary transmitter-site equipment because of an
agreement that there would be "parity" between WRCA's and WUNR's
facilities (whatever that means).

Did any of the three companies purchase iBiquity licenses to transmit
IBOC? These licenses are expensive and, considering the financial
problems of both of the national companies (CCU and Beasley), maybe
the iBiquity licenses became victims of the recession.

Maybe the stations are waiting to turn on IBOC until the end of the
1-year period that began when licenses to cover were granted. During
this period, the licensees are rquired to satisfy all reasonable
complaints of interference to radio reception within the stations'
1V/m "blanketing" contours.

Maybe the studio equipment is lacking--this could be a problem even
for WKOX because, even though its studios themselves are IBOC capable,
the audio link from Medford to Newton may not meet IBOC requirements.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367