MLB Network on premium tier?

Howard Glazer hmglaz@worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 27 11:11:29 EST 2009

I was visiting family in Swampscott over the weekend. They have Comcast's
standard digital package, so I figured I'd check to see whether the MLB
Network had been added yet. It was there (channel 269, I think), but what
came up on the screen was the "You are not subscribed" notice, the same one
that comes up when I try to watch the NFL Network or Fox Soccer Channel
there. I'm confused. I thought that Comcast and other major cable operators
were going to put MLB on the basic digital service in return for a share in
ownership of the channel to avoid the stalemate the NFL has been in with the
cable industry for two full seasons. Why is Comcast putting MLB Network on
the premium sports tier?

Howard