Digital TV delay gains steam

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psualum.com
Mon Jan 26 21:17:35 EST 2009

On Mon, 1/26/09, Dan.Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net> wrote:
> Anybody know what the bill says? If it _allows_ stations to
> continue
> analog transmissions, that wouldn't be great, but it
> wouldn't be a
> disaster. If it _requires_ stations to continue in analog,
> what a
> f@#king disaster! I can't believe that someone as smart
> as Obama would
> get behind that proposal without first getting an
> explanation of the
> ramifications. If, indeed, that's what happened, he
> just took a big
> nose-dive in MY personal approval rating. I mean, if he can
> screw up
> the digital TV transition, why should I believe he
> won't screw up
> Stimulus package # (what number is it, by the way?)

Here is AP's first two paragraphs, provided for context on the bill.

"WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate on Monday voted unanimously to postpone the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting by four months to June 12 — setting the stage for Congress to pass the proposal as early as Tuesday.
"Monday’s Senate vote is a big victory for the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress, who have been pushing for a delay amid growing concerns that too many Americans won’t be ready for the currently scheduled Feb. 17 changeover."

A full link: http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=116&sid=1585412.