WJAR drops Weather Plus

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 11:29:38 EST 2009

IIRC wasn't one of the plans for WHDH's subchannels to use NBC cable outlets as a test? At the time I heard this (somewhere around 1999) almost no one had digital converters so cable outcry wouldn't have been so great.

________________________________
From: Kevin Vahey <kvahey@comcast.net>
To: ssmyth@psualum.com
Cc: Boston Radio Group <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 10:53:32 AM
Subject: Re: WJAR drops Weather Plus

Offering Weather Channel to the affiliates not really an option. The
cable companies would start screaming that they are paying a per
subscriber fee for something being given away.

We saw something similar when NESN used to run ESPNews when they had
nothing else to show. Comcast screamed and ESPN pulled plug.