Clear Channel Cuts Announced, 1850 People Out Of Work

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Wed Jan 21 00:35:39 EST 2009

At 11:57 PM 1/20/2009, radiotony wrote:
>My experience with Gabe was quite a different one.
>I had a few run-ins with him at NAB talk radio conferences in 2005 and 2006
>over the tabloid nature of radio news and the role of news directors.
>Hobbs was of the opinion that news directors shouldn't direct the news, and
>that CC and other stations and news networks, were just serving the public
>what they wanted when the force-fed headlines about Michael Jackson and
>Martha Stewart when there was real stuff going on like war, corruption, etc.

The sense I got was that Gabe was first and foremost a "company man"
who enforced the policies of his corporate bosses. My own dealings
with him as a consultant were that sometimes he went behind the
scenes and put his butt on the line, going up against the dominant
view at CC.  But obviously, he didn't do it as much as I would have
liked, nor as much as you would have!